Tuesday 21 October 2014

I actually do LOVE LARNE!

Today I was teaching a Spanish class the verb gustar, indicating something you like. We moved on to other verbs like encantar, something you love.

A coincidence, then, thay the 'I love Larne' programme was aired tonight? No, more of an utter disappointment!

Let me start by saying I LOVE LARNE. But in the sincere way, not the ludicrous tripe portrayed in the programme. Let me also distance myself entirely from the programme and its agenda.

A number of years ago a man with family connections to Larne asked to be allowed to film certain Council events as part of his programme on Larne and how its people are resilient i  the face of adversity. Great! some overdue positive recognition for the people of Larne.

Forgive me then for thinking that the programme aired tonight had a totally different remit! The title of the show was a farce, as it showed very little of those who love Larne (and there are many of us!)

Let me extol some of the numerous virtues of Larne which should have appeared (and made for a much better programme).

First, you will find it difficult to encounter a warmer welcome than that which you will receive in Larne. And a Larne person will go out of his or her way to help you.

If you need confirmation of what a great place Larne is,  I suggest you visit Memories of Larne or Larne Through A Lens on Facebook.



This programme originally grew out of the FG Wilson job loss announcement. Since then there have been new jobs announced. Larne's businesses do great work and are consistently winning awards. We have some of the most advanced technology companies in the country. We export around the globe. Council-funded LEDCOM supports new, existing and growing businesses. Howard Hastings of Hastings Hotels recently reaffirmed his belief in the economy of the Larne area.

Where did all this positivity feature on the programme??

Carnfunnock Country Park is amongst the best 5 family parks in NI. The forthcoming Gobbins project will attract tourists and future investment into the area. We are located on the beautiful Antrim Coast.  Larne's importance as a port town has been reaffirmed by both the A8 and A2 road improvement schemes. Compared to other towns, Larne is performing very well and, with new businesses poised to open on the Main St,  the improvements are set to continue.

I could continue...

Please allow me to finish with a few points. The BBC made this programme (believe me, I would have strongly opposed this airing if I could have done so). I understand the anger shown tonight, I share it entirely. I will be requesting answers as to why such rubbish was allowed to be aired...why no locals were allowed to contribute and why elected representatives were sidelined in favour of (a) council officer(s)!

Watch this space for answers...and keep loving Larne!

No comments:

Post a Comment